3 April 2012 MEDIA RELEASE
Lift Off at 20 Fenchurch Street
Contracts are awarded for lifts and escalators as the City’s latest landmark climbs into the London sky
KONE has won an order to supply 14 double deck eco-friendly lifts and four escalators at 20 Fenchurch Street, the new skyscraper in the City of London being developed by Land Securities and Canary Wharf Group.
The lifts will race people to the top of the 37 storey, 525ft tall office building at a speed of five metres per second, reaching the roof from ground level in 30 seconds non-stop.
The contract announcement comes as 20 Fenchurch rapidly climbs into the London skyline. Having started construction just over twelve months ago, its core is now at a height of approximately 155m, or 37 storeys and on track for completion in 2014, bringing Grade A office space to a supply constrained central London market.
The contract includes the low and medium rise lifts being fitted with KONE EcoDisc® hoisting machines, which consume 50-70% less energy than conventional elevator motors. The project aims for a BREEAM environmental rating of ‘excellent’, which will put it among the greenest office buildings in the City of London.
Cormac MacCrann, Executive Director of Canary Wharf Contractors Limited, said: “We are constantly challenging our suppliers to provide products that outperform users’ expectations and deliver better outcomes for the environment. KONE has stepped up to the plate on the 20 Fenchurch Street elevator contract. We look forward to working with them in the coming months to deliver London’s newest skyscraper.”
Michael Williams, Managing Director for KONE UK, says “It is always a pleasure to work with developers who share our passion for creating an excellent people flow experience that is delivered in a sustainable way.”
The contract includes provision for a KONE JumpLift elevator, which boosts the building’s vertical transportation capacity during construction time by ‘growing’ with the high-rise.
The work to deliver the scheme is expected to support approximately 3,000 jobs throughout the construction process.
The terms of the contract were not disclosed.
For further information, please contact:
John Garwood / Hamish McDougall
Canary Wharf Group plc
Tel: 020 7418 2326
Donal McCabe/ Naomi Curtis
Land Securities Group plc
Tel: 020 7024 5460/ 5411
Michael WilliamsKONE UK
Notes to Editors
The 20 Fenchurch Street contract between 20 Fenchurch Street (GP) Ltd and KONE Corporation provides for:
• 14 KONE double-deck passenger lifts
• Six KONE MonoSpace® special lifts
• Four KONE MiniSpace™ lifts
• Two dedicated firefighting lifts
• A KONE Motala™ platform elevator, ensuring accessibility for people with impaired mobility
• KONE JumpLift elevator, which boosts the building’s vertical transportation capacity during construction
• Four KONE TravelMaster™ 110 commercial escalators
• KONE E-Link monitoring system, which guarantees service levels
• KONE Polaris® destination control system, which will increases capacity and reduce waiting times.
About 20 Fenchurch Street, EC3, London:
• 20 Fenchurch Street is being jointly developed by Land Securities and Canary Wharf Group. Canary Wharf Contractors Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of Canary Wharf Group, has been appointed as Construction Manager.
• Construction of 20 Fenchurch Street, EC3 officially started on Tuesday 18 January 2011.
• The building’s architect is Rafael Viñoly. The building spectacularly flares outwards from a narrow base. It is topped by a skygarden
• When complete, the 525 ft, 37 storey, 690,000 sq ft building will provide world class office space, with each floor offering 360° of unrivalled views.
• The building will bring Grade A office space to a supply constrained central London market of 2014, as more than 3m sq ft of leases per annum are expected to expire or see breaks potentially exercised during the next four years.
• The floor plates will range from 14,000 – 28,000 sq ft, providing both flexible high specification accommodation with the larger floor plates on the higher floors, appealing to a wide range of prospective tenants.
About Canary Wharf Group plc
Canary Wharf Group plc is an integrated property development, investment and management group of companies. It is focussed on the design, construction, leasing and management of grade A office space and high-quality retail and leisure facilities in central London. Over the past 20 years the Group has regenerated derelict wharves into the Canary Wharf Estate, one of the world’s premier business and shopping districts, constructing over 15 m sq ft of office space; more than any other company in London. These buildings are occupied by 95,000 people.
The Group’s current projects away from Canary Wharf include the Shell Centre on the South Bank, which is a joint venture with Qatari Diar and 20 Fenchurch Street (Walkie Talkie) in the City of London, which is in a joint venture with Land Securities. These follow the successful completion of Pan Peninsula and Drapers Gardens.
Canary Wharf Group’s tenants, clients and occupiers include some of the world’s leading business organisations from the media, legal, accounting, financial services, IT, energy and transport sectors. Canary Wharf Group has also developed and successfully let over 200 shops, bars, cafes and restaurants including many of Britain’s leading brands.
Canary Wharf Group has been named one of the Sunday Times 60 Best Green Companies in the UK since 2008, was the Property Week Offices Developer of the Year 2010 and also won the Christie’s 2010 Award for Best Corporate Art Collection and Programme at the International Art and Work Awards.
About Land Securities Group plc
Land Securities is the UK’s largest commercial property company and a member of the FTSE 100. The company owns and manages more than 29 m sq ft of property, from shopping centres to offices.
For more information see www.landsecurities.com
KONE is one of the global leaders in the elevator and escalator industry. The company has been committed to understanding the needs of its customers for the past century, providing industry-leading lifts, escalators and automatic building doors as well as innovative solutions for modernization and maintenance. The company’s objective is to offer the best People Flow™ experience by developing and delivering solutions that enable people to move smoothly, safely, comfortably and without waiting in buildings in an increasingly urbanizing environment. In 2011, KONE had annual net sales of EUR 5.2 billion and on average 35,000 employees.