Monday 13 July 2015 – Media Alert
Canary Wharf Group Publishes Annual Sustainability Report
“Understanding our contribution to our local and national economies, building positive relationships with our community and protecting the environments we impact, at developments or via our supply chain, are the marks of modern leadership.” Sir George Iacobescu CBE, Chief Executive and Chairman of Canary Wharf Group.
Canary Wharf Group’s latest Sustainability Report gives a snapshot of our activity and commitments in three key areas: Developing Economies; Building Communities and Relationships; and Protecting the Environment. We are proud of what we achieve each year but are always striving to do more, so as well as celebrating our achievements, the report also identifies our targets and points for improvement. We’ve just appointed a new Group Sustainability Manager, evidence of our commitment to sustainability, and are really keen to hear your thoughts and views on how you think we’re doing.
The independently assured report has been prepared in accordance with the Global Reporting Initiative G4 Sustainability Reporting Guidelines. Click here to download our Sustainability Report.
- 45% of Group spending was on local companies
- First major UK property and construction company accredited as a London Living Wage employer
- £2.28m total investment in community engagement projects and programmes
- Zero waste to landfill across CWML-managed areas for fifth consecutive year
- Highest Building Research Establishment Environmental Assessment Methodology rating to date achieved at 20 Fenchurch Street (80.2)
- 41 work experience placements from within our local boroughs
- 315 Santander bike docking stations at Canary Wharf
- Multiple industry awards and recognitions spanning stewardship, health & safety, environmental design & construction and contribution to the community
Our three key areas of focus in the report are outlined below:
Developing economies: All CWG developments are designed to open up economic opportunities to people living in the areas surrounding our operations, through direct employment (either during construction or once the buildings are operational) indirect employment (by incorporating local suppliers in our supply chain or those of our tenants) or by fostering opportunities for small, local businesses and social enterprises.
Building communities and relationships: From the outset, the Group has worked hard to reach out to the residents, businesses and community organisations on its doorstep, offering rewarding career opportunities to its employees and forging mutually beneficial relationships with its partners.
Protecting the environment: Throughout the lifecycle of our projects, from site preparation through design and construction to ongoing occupation, the company collaborates closely with others to minimise energy, water and resource use and, in line with its long-term targets, use responsibly sourced materials and assist our suppliers and contractors in doing the same.