- The ELBA Toy Appeal returns to Canary Wharf for its third year
- Donate a present to a child in your local area this Christmas
As the festive season approaches, Canary Wharf residents, visitors and workers are invited to spread some Christmas cheer to those who need it most by donating a gift to a local child through the annual ELBA Christmas Toy Appeal in partnership with Canary Wharf Group.
From Saturday 26th November, Canary Wharf will host the annual appeal for the third time. The appeal invites members of the public and employees in Canary Wharf and City firms to donate a newly bought gift which will be gifted to a child in the local area through local community organisations. In the last two years nearly 40,000 toys have been donated.
It comes as families are expected to feel the sting of financial hardship this Christmas more than ever, with a third of parents across the UK confessing they fear a difficult winter due to increased bills, food prices and job losses. Thousands of children in East London alone are predicted to experience this Christmas living in poverty.
The appeal will run until Friday 16th December, and the toy drop off point is at Level -1 Jubilee Place Mall. Those who are unable to visit the Estate can donate online through the JustGiving page, and volunteers will buy a present on their behalf.
Following the 2021 Appeal, one parent said: “With so little happening for young children due to the pandemic I was feeling isolated and concerned my child was missing out on so much. It was a lovely surprise to be invited to collect a gift. When we arrived, we were made to feel special and given a bag of goodies which were great to keep us busy over the long closure period.”
Emma Warden, Associate Director of CSR & Community at Canary Wharf Group, says: “The Toy Appeal does so much good at a time when it’s needed most, so we’re delighted to once again be supporting ELBA in surprising children in need with some much-deserved joy at Christmas. The pop up has grown in popularity each year, and we expect this year to be no different as people are well aware of how some families are really struggling. It’s so simple to pop down to the shops on your lunchbreak or duck into a toy store when doing your Christmas shopping, so we hope 2022 will be our most successful yet.”
Ian Parkes, ELBA CEO said “The need is greater than ever this year – and we have been running the appeal for over 20 years. We have already received requests for over 20,000 toys from our community partners. Having the grotto in such an amazing position at Canary Wharf really boosts the number of toys we get in and it’s all thanks to Canary Wharf Group for hosting and partnering the appeal once again”
As well as donating the space to facilitate the Toy Appeal, Canary Wharf staff will be busy volunteering at the Toy Appeal Grotto and in the local community. Projects include the East End Community Foundation’s Winter Bag Appeal, supporting local residents who are vulnerable to the impacts of the cost-of-living crisis.
Toy appeal drop off point:
- Level -1, Jubilee Place, Canary Wharf, E14 5NY
- Saturday 26 November – Friday 16 December
- Monday-Saturday: 10am-5pm; Sunday: closed
Toy Appeal asks for gift donations within the following guidelines:
- New toys between the value of £10 and £15
- Please ensure the presents are unwrapped. This is so community organisations can choose which children the gifts are most suited to
- Toys should have the Lion Mark CE to show they are child friendly and safe for use.
- No toys that require batteries. It’s ok if the toy comes with batteries included
- No war toys or toys that portray fighting such as tanks, soldiers and guns. Some children may be asylum seekers fleeing war. Star Wars and superheroes are fine
- No iTunes/Google Play vouchers. Most children that benefit from the Toy Appeal won’t have access to an account. Cinema vouchers are more appropriate
- No second-hand donations. Many of our community partners cannot accept second-hand toys due to health and safety reasons. Also, the quality often varies greatly. For many children, this will be the only toy they receive so we would like it to be a new toy
- Age range for toys – the toys will be donated to babies and children up to the age of 16
Click here for gifting inspiration
Click here for more information on the Toy Appeal
Click here to make a donation via JustGiving
 Oxfam, 2022
For further information, please contact:
Canary Wharf Group plc
T: 020 7418 2166