Canary Wharf is a privately owned Estate owned by Canary Wharf Group plc. As owners of the Estate, we have a duty to ensure that any activity that takes place there including filming and photography is safe, carries the correct insurance, minimises disruption and does not compromise security.
To apply to film and photograph on the Canary Wharf Estate you need to do the following:
- Read all of the content on this page, including the terms and conditions.
- Download and complete the Company Registration Form and the Film and Photography Permit Application Form and email them to firstname.lastname@example.org
- If required, send a risk assessment, method statement and evidence of public liability insurance to email@example.com. See the FAQs section below for guidance.
- If permission is granted you will be emailed a permit. Print this out and bring it with you when you film or photograph at Canary Wharf. Please show it to security personnel if requested.
- For multiple requests, we may set you up on the e-permits system so you can apply online. If so you will be emailed log-in details and asked to follow the instructions.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- The filming and photography is for professional use, sale, commercial gain or media reproduction; and/or
- you will potentially cause disruption or harm to people or property on the Canary Wharf Estate; and/or
- you are filming/photographing indoors in any of the common areas in the buildings (eg lobbies or shopping malls); and/or
- you are filming/photographing building entrances, shop fronts or any of the security arrangements in place.
You do not necessarily require a permit if:
- You are taking the images for solely amateur purposes and do not intend to reproduce them for media, sale or commercial benefit (for example you are a tourist, hobbyist or student); and
- your equipment is minimal (for example, nothing more than a camera and stationary tripod); and
- you are not causing any disruption, harm or potential harm to people, property or yourself; and
- you are outdoors; and
- you are not filming or photographing any building entrances or security arrangements.
Students are advised to carry with them a student ID and letter of introduction from their educational institution.
As owners of the Estate, we have a duty to ensure that any activity that takes place there including filming and photography is safe, carries the correct insurance, minimises disruption and does not compromise security.
|West India Quay and footbridge||Canal & River Trust|
|DLR and underground stations||Transport for London / London Underground|
|South Quay and footbridge||London Borough of Tower Hamlets Film Office|
|The area directly in front of the Western entrance to Jubilee Line Underground Station||Transport for London / London Underground|
When applying, please be as specific as possible about the locations and subject you intend to film or photograph. You can download a map of the Estate here
Urgent or same day requests, for example from news crews, will be dealt with if resource allows. If unsure, please call the Press Office for guidance on 020 7418 2000.
Variable fees dependent on location, scale and type of shoot / production. Each application will be reviewed based on these factors and a fee agreed.
We reserve the right to charge up to 100% of the agreed fee in cases of scheduled shoots being cancelled with less than 24 hours notice.
This means that non-essential filming and photography requests may be declined, and all filming and photography must minimise disruption and ensure the health and safety of everyone involved.
We typically take on filming and photography projects that have promotional merit to Canary Wharf and/or our retail and office tenants.
Please be as specific as possible in your application about the reasons you are undertaking the filming/photography and what the subject of your photography will be.
The laying of track is not permitted on the Estate.
- I/we will carry out immediately and without question or argument any instructions issued by any Canary Wharf Management Limited (CWML) Security Officer relating to fire, security or safety. I/we acknowledge that if the CWML Security Officer feels that any actions on my/our part or situations are unsafe, I/we will take immediate action to correct the situation.
- I/we will comply with all the requirements of the Risk Assessment provided for these operations as well as CWG safety requirements.
- We will use the images for the specified purpose only, and will seek CWG’s permission before using for other purposes
- My/our film/photography crew, their support teams and other staff will expected to act and behave with due thought for their own safety and the safety of other people.
- I/we know and understand my/our responsibilities to ensure the safety and well being of all persons who may be affected by our undertaking and accept the Duty of Care.
- I/we will obtain written permission from the retail outlet’s management to film or photograph specific retail outlets.
- I/we will obtain written permission from the tenant or building owner to film or photograph tenanted buildings with logos on the exterior
- My/our filming and/or photography being carried out on the Estate has the benefit of public liability insurance cover of at least £10 million.
- I/we will not permit smoking at any time on the roof or within the structure of any of the buildings on the Estate by me/us or by my/our cast and crew.
- My/our filming and photography will not involve or portray real or simulated violence, nudity or sexual activity, including the use of subjects solely clad in underwear or swimwear.
- My/our filming and photography will not take place in the shopping malls between midday and 2pm and between 4pm and 6pm.
- I/we have been made aware of the safety rules and procedures applicable to photographing, filming, broadcasting or producing while at Canary Wharf
- The images will only be used for the purpose described in my application and I will seek permission from Canary Wharf Group before using them for other purposes
I/we acknowledge that if I/we fail to comply with the requirements as stated above, or if the actions of my/our cast or crew should put persons at risk will be entitled to take whatever measures may be necessary, even to the extent of stopping all filming, photography or related work. I/we understand that should filming, photography or related work be delayed or stopped due to not complying with these terms and conditions, I/we will have no claim against Canary Wharf Group, its employees, contractors or agents and that I/we shall be liable for any damage caused to any property on the Estate or employees of CWG caused by the actions of me/us or my/our cast or crew.
- Click the box below to confirm you have read and will comply with the terms and conditions.
- Click Proceed to login. Once logged in, proceed to ‘Create Request’ to initiate the application.
- Remember to use the ‘duplicate request’ button for applying for permits on multiple days.
Please click to agree to the terms and conditions