The Association of Photographers (AOP) has announced that this year, the annual Awards event will take place in October, with an online gallery showcasing all the shortlisted images, and at 11am on 13 October 2020 the winners will be announced via an online presentation.
Each year the AOP Awards celebrates the best in established and emerging photography talent, making the annual event one of the leading events in the creative calendar. Members of the AOP are eligible for the Photography categories, whereas non-members are eligible for the Open Categories.
As part of the changing aspect of photography, moving-image work is, for the first time, allowed in each category, rather than being singled out for their own award. Also new for 2020 is the Emerging Talent Award – this Award is a response to commissioners looking for new talent and it provides a platform allowing exposure to the creative industries. As this is a separate category it shines a light on the breath of new talent and helps create a network of photographers and commissioners alike.
“The past six months has been a pivotal moment for the AOP as we have provided much-needed and comprehensive support to the creative imaging community.
The warmth and positive feedback we have been receiving has made us more determined to amplify the work of those selected for this year’s AOP Awards to a wider global audience.
There was never a moment when we ever considered cancelling this year’s event. Instead we have given much thought to ways we can both achieve a celebration of excellence in image-making practice and ensuring as many people as possible get to experience this amazing work.
I would like to take this opportunity to thank all our members, supporters, partners and especially those who entered. Whichever way you choose to experience the AOP Awards 2020, you can be guaranteed that it will be brimming with exceptionally brilliant and awe-inspiring work.” Seamus McGibbon, AOP CEO
The annual physical exhibition at One Canada Square, Canary Wharf, has also been rescheduled for January 2021.
All the finalists’ work will be available to view at www.aopawards.com and will also be displayed in the lobby of One Canada Square, Canary Wharf 11 January – 26 February 2021.
Since the inception of Canary Wharf’s cultural master plan, the arts have played an important role in the development and success of the 128-acre Estate. Canary Wharf has one of the UK’s largest collections of public art, with more than 70 permanent works by over 50 world-renowned artists.
Awards and Curators, Photography Awards
- Lifestyle: Curated by Rachel Wickham, Senior Creative Producer – Prodigious London
- Photojournalism: Curated by Karin Rehn-Kaufmann, Art Director & Chief Representative – Leica Galleries International
- Portrait: Curated by Karen McQuaid, Senior Curator – The Photographers’ Gallery
- Environment: Curated by Jane Record, Creative Director – Photography at BBC Creative
- Still Life & Object: Curated by Kathy Howes, Freelance Senior Creative Producer/Art Buyer
- Fashion & Beauty: Curated by Nick Knight, Image Maker & Creative Director – SHOWstudio
- Food & Drink: Curated by Elisa Merlo, Photography Creative Director
- Project: Curated by Daniel Moorey, Head of Photography & Illustration – adam&eveDDB
- Open Awards: Anne Mannion, AOP Chair & Tim Flach, AOP President & Photographer
- Emerging Talent Award: Katy Niker, Director, Katy Niker Ltd
For images and Interview requests contact:
Mark Best – email@example.com ,0774 950 818